Saturday, January 29, 2011
WHEN the Yan Kit pool opened in 1952, it was only the second public swimming pool here after the first on Mount Emily.
Named after dentist Look Yan Kit, its official opening had then-Governor of Singapore John Nicoll and City Council president T.P.F McNeice as guests of honour.
It was often packed, given its location in a densely populated area, as well as the lack of public pools at the time.
But as commercial activity in the area flourished and residents moved out, the pool's decline was inevitable.
By 2000, it drew an average of 100 people a day - a very low number compared to the 1,900 using the Tampines Swimming Complex at the time. The Singapore Sports Council closed it in March 2001. The council runs 24 public pools today.