Tuesday, March 29, 2011

To study locally or overseas? 5 factors to consider When choosing to further their studies locally or overseas, there are factors students take into serious consideration before making their decision. Here are some of the main concerns of graduating students. 1. Cost Spending expenses surfaced as the number one factor when students decide if they should pursue their degree overseas. "I'm lucky. My parents are able to support my overseas education." - Rachel Goh, 20, University of Melbourne "It's also cheaper here. The course fees abroad and locally are more or less the same, except that overseas, you have to pay more for living expenses." - Sabrina Tan, 19, SIM - University of London 2. Proximity from family and friends Daily interaction and activities with friends and family will greatly lessen. From seeing the people closest to you every day, you are now at least a plane ride away. "I preferred studying in Australia rather than the UK or US as it is much nearer (to home)." - Charles Ma, Alumni at Monash University. "My mum didn't feel safe with me studying overseas alone" - Sabrina Tan, 19, SIM - University of London 3. Lifestyle changes "I migrated to New Zealand 10 years ago, so integrating back into the Singaporean education system would have been much too great a challenge for me." - Rachel Woon, 21, University of Auckland "Having to alter my late sleeping habits to wake up early and start the day since malls in Melbourne close at 5PM. You cannot afford to sleep most of your day away here." - Rachel Goh, 20, University of Melbo 4. Academic programmes Of course, before enrolling in any school, the choices of graduating students are greatly affected by the pedagogy in each institution. "I wanted a change in terms of exposing myself to different style of learning. Also, I wanted to challenge myself in a foreign environment." - Jan Lin, Alumni at University of Melbourne "The unique pedagogy attracted me. Classes aren't conducted in the conventional lecture-tutorial styles. SMU prides itself over its seminar-styled broad-based education and I found that extremely appealing" Zizie Zuzantie, 20, on her choice - Singapore Management University 5. Future Prospects Students will most definitely want to spend their time and money on a course of study which will aid them in the future career choices they make. "Studying at NTU as opened up opportunities for me. It has made it much easier to find a job." - Soon Qiao Ying, 22, Alumni at National Technological University "Statistically, it's a highly ranked university and highly regarded amongst employers." - Rachel Goh, 20, University of Melbourne Simple. Study overseas and start working overseas. Local talents are less appreciated that FTs. However overseas we are the FTs, living the good life, less stress, more open spaces, to ski, snowboard, rock climbing, hiking, cheaper cars n homes. Back in S'pore we'll be in debt the rest of our lives with such cost. These days when someone tells you that his child is going overseas for his Uni education, two questions cross the mind. Is he a scholar or a NUS/NTU/SMU reject? Peter Low .....your brain is so shallow

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was extremely pleased to discover this website.
I need to to thank you for ones time due to this fantastic read!

! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it and i also have you book-marked to see new stuff on your blog.



Here is my page modern bathroom vanities

Anonymous said...

Hi there to all, it's truly a pleasant for me to pay a visit this website, it consists of important Information.

Also visit my webpage ... Kindergeburtstag Mannheim